Sunday, October 14, 2012

is this a good itinerary for backpacking through europe

is this a good itinerary for backpacking through europe?
I have a 5 week period off between school and work and i would like to spend it backpacking through Europe. I've never left the United States, and I want to see as much as possible during my time there. I've seen so many people say really you can only fit in maybe 4-6 places in 5 weeks, but I figured as a solo traveler, a student who's still young (21) and the fact that, unless something were to happen to me, I'll probably be in many of these places again in my lifetime, that I'll be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish in such a short period of time Anyway, here is what I have so far: Day 1: Arrive in Cork, Ireland (Blarney Castle here) Day 2: Make way to Dublin, stopping off somewhere along the way. Day 3: Dublin Day 4: Early flight to London (discount airlines are going to help me here) Day 5: London Day 6: London Day 7: Early flight to Paris (discount airlines cheaper than the chunnel crossing) Day 8: Paris Day 9: Paris Day 10: Paris/overnight train to Madrid Day 11: Madrid Day 12: Madrid Day 13: Barcelona Day 14: Barcelona/Mediterranean cruise/ferry to Rome Day 15: Cruise/ferry to Rome. Arrive at 5 pm. Day 16: Rome/Vatican Day 17: Rome Day 18: Florence Day 19: Udine (Northern Italy where family live) Day 20: Udine with family Day 21: Day trip to Venice, then return to family's house. Day 22: Udine, late night/early morning train to Zurich Day 23: Zurich Day 24: Munich Day 25: Munich/Neuschwanstein castle Day 26: Munich Day 27: Vienna Day 28: Vienna Day 29: Prague Day 30: Prague Day 31: Berlin Day 32: Berlin/Concentration Camp visit Day 33: Berlin Day 34: Brussels Day 35: Brussels Day 36: Amsterdam Day 37: Amsterdam Day 38: Fly home Does anyone think this could work out. I made lists of the places and attractions that I want to see in each place, and I have time to fit them in, so I'm not worried about not seeing anything. I feel like 3 days in London and 4 days in Paris are sufficient on a trip all over Europe and not just time spent in one area, and that in smaller, less popular cities like Zurich, Vienna, and Prague that two days is sufficient (and by popular I mean not at the level of cities like London and Paris in terms of how much foreigners know about them). So that's my schedule, can anyone approve or edit it? Thanks!
Other - Europe - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Danny, I'm exhausted just reading your itinerary! Congratulations! You have made an excellent itinerary. My first backpacking trip to Europe was also a five-week adventure, and I was also moving a lot. I might offer a couple small revisions: Munich is an awesome headquarters for exploring a lot of places. You might extend your time there and shorten it in, say, Berlin. Also, Brussels I found not as exciting or interesting as I had hoped. Apart from the statue of the little boy peeing and the Comic Book Museum, it was dirty and uninteresting. I would suggest spending the night in Schwangau when you go down to see King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein so you can spend time hiking in the hills behind the castle and wallowing in the Kristall-Therme pools that night. Stay at the Gasthaus Charlotte. I loved it! Also from Munich you can see Dachau Concentration Camp. I can't think of any camps near Berlin. Also, the tour of Bavaria-Atalier Film Studio in Munich is awesome! If you're interested in World War II history, from Munich you can go up to Nuremburg for a day and see the Nazi Party Rally Grounds (don't waste too much time in the museum; it's all blow-ups of pix from history books), and then go down to Berchtesgaden and take a tour up to the Eagles Nest with Eagles Nest Tours (David Harper, who runs it with his wife, is an American historian who has lived in the area for years and his insight is stellar). Finally, Vienna and Prague are both gorgeous, but a tad out of the wStay at Balmer's Herberge (hostel) then go up either the Jungfrau or the Schilthorn mountains. Awesome day trips! Have a sensational time!



Read more discussions:

Search News